Things Just Got Serious

Friday, September 19, 2014


Disclaimer: I am trying not to make this look like a progress report. 

It's not fun to turn 25 because that's the age when you feel like you need to be more of an adult than a youngster trying to enjoy life. You're in the middle of your twenties and that's basically the age when people start to ask you about your future plans—long term career, marriage, and family. Five years is just as fast as it can be and you'll wake up one day realizing you're 30. I'm not really looking forward to turning 25 this year, because 25 just doesn't sound as fun as 22.

Quarter life crisis—a term coined for the youth because people just need something to describe a premature Midlife crisis—is also something very common on your 25th year. Simply because of the pressure that people put in you and your non-existing future plans (at least for me). I've always thought that I dodged the phase quite well when it kicked in a few months back with me being so troubled about my sloppy job and having a hard time dealing with relationships. But then quarter life crisis kicks me out of the blue just now, unguarded, just when I thought the phase was over.

With my current state of mind, I know very well that for me to actually survive my 25th year is to figure out what's next. I think that everyone needs to do that when they have reached mid-twenties. I feel like this is the age for make it or break it or the it's now or never. So here I am, starting anew, trying my best to actually make full use of my 25th year, try to make the most out of it:

  • Shit just got serious. I have finally bought my blog it's own domain name. I hit the buy button and nothing was ever the same for this blog. It felt like blogging is a big responsibility now. I've been thinking about it for quite some time and I thought that buying a name for this site is only logical when it's done on my birthday. And so I did. September is an extension of myself and I want it to be something I'll feel so silly about when I reach my 30s. 
  • Cooking Fever. Nope, this isn't just about the game app I've been very busy about these past few days. I have, surprisingly, found a new love. I never really pegged myself as someone who'd love to stay in the kitchen to cook. Yes, cook. I love food, but I don't like the preparation it entails. Recently, I have found out that running the kitchen is actually quite liberating. Although I am nowhere near to being a chef, I have tried doing some minor cooking (like frying haha). I successfully made tasty wicked oreos I've been meaning to share to my SO. 
  • First times. Believe it or not, I am attending a concert for the first time. Although I have seen a lot of local bands and artists perform during my high school and college days, on November I will be seeing an international act live for the first time. I bought my Chvrches ticket a few weeks back and I couldn't be any happier. Honestly, it's one of the few things I look forward to the latter part of the year. 
  • More measures. The cost of living is higher these days and if I am really thinking about the future a lot, I should be considering other ways to earn income. So now, I am very much considering freelance works on writing, web design, and web development. I'm not much of a pro so the rates I offer are primarily cheaper than the professional freelancers I know. I find it difficult to quit my job and find a new one that can provide well for my family. I needed leverage. Something that can keep me afloat while I'm considering other options. We've been dealing with a lot of financial issues these past few months and gratefully, with the help of the Lord, we were able to weather it out. 

With humility, I know that there are things I have done a great job on. I took a leap of progress. But I know that there are also things I have to improve on. I want my 25 to be the kind of year where I finally make things right. I hope for a year with more travels, more concerts to attend to, and more significant things to happen.

You Might Also Like

0 comments