CHVRCHES: Live in Manila

Tuesday, December 02, 2014




It could have been a massive throwback. With explosive processed beats, gorgeous synths, and heaven-sent vocals, it was something reminiscent of the 80s. But the loud screams and cheers from the crowd standing in front of this Scottish trio kept us all in touch with the present. We could all think they're born a little late, but no, seeing how awesome they are live meant that they belong here. In this moment, in this time. It is their time.


As part of their Asian tour for The Bones Of What You Believe, CHVRCHES finally visited the Philippines last November 26, 2014 for a one night only concert at the Samsung Hall in SM Aura, Taguig care of Vybe Productions.

One of the many things to be proud of about being a fan of Chvrches is the fact that this band is as good as they can be. Watching them perform live is like listening to their own CD, natural but more fun (not to mention the fact that you can actually dance with strangers and no one else would even care). I've loved them from the start, I'm a fan of electronic pop.

The band started their set with We Sink
With Lauren Mayberry's voice resonating around the hall filled with people who love electronic pop the way they love CHVRCHES, I was lost in a trance and high on euphoria. Sure the beer had a lot to do with it. But hey, when you're watching Chvrches live, you don't need any of that to enjoy the whole thing. Their energy on stage is just enough to keep you pumped up.

I admit I was never a big fan of Lauren Mayberry because something about female-led bands screams so much about Hayley Williams that it makes you think you can no longer find someone better after her. But seeing Lauren perform live? Oh boy, I am faced by the fact that it was possible for Hayley and Lauren to exist together in my world. She was amazing, a bit shy and reserved on stage, but you'll love her when you see her perform.

Lauren's signature "Thanks guys!" makes the crowd cheer loud every damn time

And Martin, my dear Martin. I have always loved the energy he brings on stage. To be honest, I am more of a Doherty fan than a Mayberry. I have seen a lot of their live performances on YouTube and I cannot help but to admire Doko. We were used to guys who play samplers like they're corpses. Nothing much going on. But Martin? He sucks the energy out of the crowd in front of him and transform it to something magical, and surreal. So is Iain who exemplifies versatility by switching from guitars, to keyboards, and bass at some point. I wish he did a few of the vocals too.

The crowd went wild with performances of Gun, Recover, and The Mother We Share

CHVRCHES also performed Dead Air from The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 soundtrack
CHVRCHES' set list

Thank the heavens someone actually have a decent video of Gun.


A video posted by Criz Tan (@thetenthofseptember) on

Highlights of the night:

  • Actually being meters away from Martin Doherty. We didn't win any meet and greet but seeing him so close was just enough to send me to fangirlville. 
  • Beers actually cost P100 per cup, and I found out they were just San Mig Light. Pero okay lang, it pretty much helped me overcome pre-concert jitters. Beer on pre-everything is the best (considering I took a bottle once before a UAAP Finals game hindi naman ako player)
  • Get Away is my cue to magwala na sa stairs
  • Dancing. Dancing. Dancing!

Backstory

I'm not the kind who spends so much on concerts and all. In fact, I haven't been to a decent one ever. I've been to a lot of music events, but not concerts.. not like this. So when Vybe Production announced the concert in July, I couldn't be more excited. I bought my early bird ticket a day before the promo ended and I was just lucky to have enough money to buy it.

My early bird ticket which I sold later on to another soul because I won FHM's free tickets. *it is also my first time to win in an online contest. hihi*
Anxiety heightened up days before the concert with me being too excited and all, and partially unsure if I should go. The pre-concert jitters were understandable noting that it was really the first decent concert I'm about to attend and that I am going alone. So days before the concert, I asked my friend Khreane to join me but she was tight on budget so it's a natural No. Funny things happened as soon as I saw FHM's concert ticket contest which I voluntarily joined just so I can get my friend a ticket to the concert. I won and I sold my early bird ticket because FHM's were non-transferrable, and there we were.

"You put your hand in my hand.. it's a souvenir for when you go-oh-oh-oh"

One of the most amazing nights of my life ended on a high note with us strolling around BGC trying to look for a place to eat dinner (because 3 hours of falling in line have kept our stomachs empty).

Thank you to Vybe Productions for bringing Chvrches here! Glad to know a production like yours have given attention to indie acts. You have a long list of fandoms to satisfy.. *HAIM HAIM HAIM*


Hide, hide I have burned your bridges










You Might Also Like

0 comments