How I know I still love you

Tuesday, July 07, 2015


I know i still love you because
i think about you day and night
and even if it was years ago when our lips
last tasted love i still
remember it like it was yesterday
and i still remember how
our last kiss felt.
It lingers even after so many others.

I know i still love you because
i wake up in the morning and all i can
ever think about was how i buried
my face in between your neck and your shoulder
where i kept all the secrets your hands
told me on nights we were golden.
I found refuge in your body.

I know i still love you because
despite the mouthful of promises i have broken
i am still here wanting to make amends
and i want to do them while tracing
the line of your jaws with my lips,
careful not to place regrets.

I know i still love you because
when the world healed me well
i found out i am still trying to
begin to forget your face
and i can't.

Our memories are buried deep in my heart
but that doesn't keep them from coming
back to the surface and sometimes they flow
through my veins.

Love, in my head they were as red as my blood.
There was no way to let them go without
having to rip my heart open and
expose it to the world.

I know i still love you because
i hesitate to take window seats
and with the rest of the things
we used to do together,
my body still hasn't break the habit.
You are supposed to take this seat.
You are supposed to sit beside me.

I know i still love you because
when you left, the world stopped taking my breath away
the only view i need is your face
and whenever i think about that time
you were sleeping on my steep shoulder,
it makes me think about how one still
craves for something she has.
and i still have it,
the feeling of your head resting on me
and the smell of your auburn hair.
It doesn't matter where we're going
as long as you're with me.

I know i love you because
even if i write so many poems about
us, it can't suffice the years we have lost,
and the longing i feel for you.
And i fear i might write for the rest of my life.
you have made me believe i waited
23 years of my life for something like this,
what's another 23 years?

I love you because,
well,
I still do.

You Might Also Like

0 comments